On the Initiative of Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan New Delhi it became possible to push forward the establishment of the German Cultural Society in Chandigarh and to realize the concept of establishing of a German Cultural Society Chandigarh (Goethe-Zentrum Chandigarh) which was originally mooted in September 2004. As a result of this, the Indo-German Language and Cultural Society, Chandigarh was established in co-operation with the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan New Delhi.
With the network of Goethe-Instituts, Goethe Centres, cultural societies, reading rooms, exam and language learning centres we have played a central role in the cultural and educational policies of Germany for over 60 years.
The main aims and objectives of the Language and Cultural Society (Goethe-Zentrum) Chandigarh:
- Imparting of knowledge of the German Language;
- Organizing cultural events in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan New Delhi and the German Embassy, New Delhi. E.g. concerts, theatre projects, lectures, filmprograms, seminars, exhibitions etc.
- Imparting of a contemporary image of Germany by providing information about the culture, society and politics.
- Participation in language and cultural related events and seminars.
- Promotion and organization of literary, scientific and cultural lectures.
- Distribution of materials and giving information about the websites about the higher study programs at the German universities and the universities of applied sciences.
- Teaching of German language. As far as teaching of German language is concerned, it is as per the requirements and the guidelines of the Goethe-Institut /Max Mueller Bhavan New Delhi.
- The public is informed about the German courses and the cultural activities of the center by holding press conferences.
We draw our strength from the multi facet of our open society and the rich lively culture of Germany. We connect our experience and ideas of our partners within the country and abroad with our expertise and work in a fair dialogue. In that, we are service leader and partner for all, who are actively engaged with Germany and the German language and culture and we work with full responsibility and non-politically.
We meet the challenges of cultural policies of the globalization and through understanding develop innovative concepts for a humane world in which cultural diversity is seen as heritage.